ANKI USMLE Comprehensive Deck Settings

Sal

03 Dec, 2019 07:37 PM

Anking Overhaul deck + Zanki

I'm using a comprehensive USMLE deck, and I changed the number of new cards per day to my personal preference, the maximum reviews per day (eg, 9999), etc.

I am doing the decks by subjects, so far have only started doing Anki cards on 3 topics and that's lolnotacop for micro, Zanki Biochemistry, and Zanki Immunology. Before I begin any of the 3 decks it will show me that I have 30 new cards for the day plus their respective reviews, but here is the catch, once I start one of the decks (say for instance Immunology), then the 30 new cards from the other decks disappear (lolnatacop, Zanki Biochemistry) and only their reviews remain. I'm not sure if I have something in the settings wrong or if I need some type of tag to install. My goal is to do 20 daily new cards for any subject I begin. Right now I am working on 3 subjects only (Lolnotacop [microbiology], Zanki Biochem, Zanki Immunology), thus my intention is to do 20 new cards daily from these 3 decks, and in the future if I open a link to a new subject deck (eg, Cardiovascular) then 20 new cards daily from cardio, thus totalling then now 80 new cards daily. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!

ANKI 2 Image Attachement - This is Zanki Immunology, I completed the 30 new cards today, and hence it gave the "you have finished this deck for now."

ANKI 1 Image Attachment - When I am back at Anking overhaul deck the main screen, it only now shows me the review cards that are due, in this case, the Zanki Biochem and lolnotacop. The 30 new cards per day disappear from lolnotacop and Zanki Biochemistry.

ANKI 5 Image Attachment - This is how I set up the recommended settings.

ANKI 3 Image Attachment - lolnotacop new cards per day disappeared.

ANKI 4 Image Attachment- Zanki Biochem new daily cards disappeared.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 03 Dec, 2019 08:23 PM

You are changing the options for multiple decks at once. If you wish a deck to have its own options, you need to give that deck a separate option group. If a parent deck has a small limit, it will prevent the child decks from showing more cards than the parent limit.

2. 2 Posted by Sal on 04 Dec, 2019 07:17 PM

Hello and thank you for your response, I kind of understand what you are suggesting, from my understanding you're suggesting:

1.) The current parent deck I have set to 30 new cards per day, so in turn, I should increase the new daily limit for the parent deck (e.g., 9999) cards per day so anki would generate new daily card limits to other subjects.

OR

2.) Are you suggesting that I go into the subdeck (child deck) and change the setting to the number of new cards daily?

Thus, I am not sure which route you're suggesting, number 1 or number 2. Anki is definitely a learning curve.

Anki 9 Image attachment- if you take a look before I started my anki study session it displayed 30 new cards per day across all the sud-decks.

Anki 10 Image attachment - So, I clicked on the Immunology deck, but after I completed my review and new cards from the Immunology deck. I came back to the anki main screen and now the 30 new cards per day from all the other sub decks have disappeared.

ANKI 11 Image attachment- when I click on the wheel of a sub deck (e.g., Biochemistry) and click on options, the new cards per day is at 30, which is my preference, but if I did a subject before Biochemistry that 30 new card per day would disappear, as it happened today, when I completed the Immunology deck.

3. 3 Posted by schmidhauser on 04 Dec, 2019 08:07 PM

I'd make a superdeck into which I'd put all or most other decks you now have with a new card limit of (say) 40 new cards per day. That's how mine looks like:

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1358364553

Also, with 80 new cards per day you'll probably soon feel rather overwhelmed by the number of upcoming reviews. I'd do ten new cards per discipline, with a max of 40 per day.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 05 Dec, 2019 06:49 AM

Bear in mind that you can expect daily reviews to grow to about 10x the number of new cards/day you're introducing.

5. 5 Posted by Sal on 06 Dec, 2019 08:56 PM

Hey there Schmidhauser & Damien,

Thanks for your responses and you both are correct about the number of reviews will be overwhelming with time. I was thinking overly ambitious lol. So, I thought of doing 10 new cards per day. I am currently working on 3 subjects and each subject has its own subdeck and they are Immunology, Lolnotacop, and Biochemistry. As stated, these 3 decks are subdecks, they fall under the parent deck titled "AnKing" parent deck.

When I initially open Anki every morning to do my reviews from these 3 subdecks (Immunology, Biochemistry, Lolnotacop), it will display their new cards that are due today along with their reviews, but as soon as I finish one of the subjects (e.g., lolnotacop), the other 2 subdecks only display reviews that are due for the day but not the new daily cards.

I have clicked on the "gear" for Immunology, Biochem, lolnotacop subdeck and I have tried to adjust their settings, by creating an "options group" for each of the three subdecks and then, in turn, adjusting the settings to each subdeck, in order to dissociate them from the parent deck settings, however it seems they are still attached to the parent deck, because as soon as I complete one subdeck, the other two their new daily cards disappear. So, even if I tried to adjust the settings to 10 new cards daily it will only allow me to do it for only one subject, the others will disappear.

In the Anki 1A Image - After I completed "Lolnotacop" daily review and daily new cards, now the Biochemistry and Immunology deck new daily cards disappear.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Damien Elmes on 06 Dec, 2019 10:45 PM

New cards are introduced in subdeck order, so if you want a certain amount from each deck, each subdeck needs an appropriate limit relative to the parent limit.

7. 7 Posted by Sal on 06 Dec, 2019 11:02 PM

Damien, so how do I go about adjusting the settings, so that each subdeck I can place an appropriate limit relative to the parent limit?

I tried doing what you just suggested by simply clicking on the gear icon for each subdeck, and then from the options group, drop-down menu at the top I added a new options group for each subdeck, so that way, the changes/settings I made to each subdeck doesn't reflect the entire parent "default" deck. But that didn't work :-(

tried to adjust their settings, by creating an "options group" for each of the three subdecks and then, in turn, adjusting the settings to each subdeck, in order to dissociate them from the parent deck settings, however it seems they are still attached to the parent deck, because as soon as I complete one subdeck, the other two their new daily cards disappear.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 07 Dec, 2019 09:11 PM

The behaviour you're observing seems to indicate the parent limits have not been set high enough to cover the cards from all child decks. If each child deck is set to 20 and the parent limit is set to 20, you'll only get 20 cards from the first deck for example.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac