Stop syncing for Anki 2.0

KKS

13 Nov, 2019 12:03 AM

This comment was split from the discussion: Stop syncing for Anki 2.0

DAMIEN

YOU CAN'T DO THAT TO ME, DAMIEN

I've been using Anki every single day for the past 4 years. I am locked in 2.0 ever since Unicode got SCRAMBLED. You call it normalization, there is nothing normalized or elegant about ignoring user input and actively replacing a character with something else. This software has a good share of Japanese and Chinese learners, ideogram support should be burned in its barebone core.

But it's fine, I don't need new addons. I don't need new features - it ALREADY WORKS as intended, all I have... had to do's not upgrade. But what shall I do now? I'm halfway done with the 7th page in this picture already. Will you take responsibility for all the little orphaned Chinese squiggles? Have mercy...

For reference, my old thread about this is https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/ankidesktop/33795-anki-21-lo...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 13 Nov, 2019 12:24 AM

Anki 2.0 will not stop working come Jan 1, it will just no longer be able to access AnkiWeb.

I'm afraid what I said in the previous discussion still stands - normalization improves things for the majority of users. A way may present itself in the future to support these archaic variants without losing the benefits of normalization, but it's not possible at the moment.

2. 2 Posted by lovac42 on 13 Nov, 2019 01:14 AM

You should rewrite the announcement, it's throwing off my translation tools as well. None of the targeted languages comes out sounding as you intended.

`
    For the technologically illiterate,

The version 2.0 of Anki for desktop will still continue to function, but synchronization and the plugin download page will be discontinued on 1/1/2020.
    `

3. 3 Posted by Chris on 13 Nov, 2019 01:19 AM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Stop syncing for Anki 2.0

Hi!

The new ANki version doesn't work on my computer at all. The graphics don't run (error message), and after fixing, I find out that they're still messed up. No symbols, misplaced buttons, empty flashcards. Also, all my addons are gone. So, nothing works for me with the new version. Could you implement some kind of alternate server to still be able to update after January fist? I tried the official version of the latest Anki, and even the beta version. Both don't work...

4. 4 Posted by Luke on 13 Nov, 2019 01:25 AM

I am studying Chinese Hanzi using Anki with the Chinese addon, customized slightly.

I noticed KKS mentions Chinese / Japanese. Does this mean I will not be able to use Anki to learn Chinese any more? Will 2.1 somehow affect my Chinese cards?

I've built up a large deck over a few years so would be sad to not be able to use my 1st choice resource for studying any more :(

5. 5 Posted by KKS on 13 Nov, 2019 02:21 AM

Luke, you are safe if you only learn regular words, but anything literary or more in-depth might get eaten. I don't know the exact codepoints for Chinese, but for Japanese it's only compatible with SHIFT JIS 1 and 2, no 3 and 4.

I'm reading Natsume Souseki in Japanese, the Records of Wei in parallel (JP-CN) and a bunch of pre-war classics. Several words I got from these sources have issues on Anki 2.1.

DAMIEEEEN, I HAVE A WIFE AND CHILDREN

6. 6 Posted by Luke on 13 Nov, 2019 02:33 AM

Hi KKS,

Thanks for clarifying. Wishing you all the best in getting this sorted. I understand how frustrating this must be!!!

7. 7 Posted by KKS on 17 Nov, 2019 06:30 PM

Question: when exactly does the replacing of a character for another happen?
    If I open my collection on 2.1 and don't review it, will it leave the content alone?

I'm thinking about sharing my user folder between 2.0 and 2.1 and use 2.1 just in order to sync, 2.0 to review.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 17 Nov, 2019 09:06 PM

If I recall correctly, syncing will not change non-normalized content.

9. 9 Posted by Elulu on 19 Nov, 2019 05:14 PM

I can't install 2.1 in my laptop. My MacBook Pro is about 10 years old and it couldn't be upgraded to later iOS version due to limited memory. If I force my MacBookPro to upgrade, it might run very slowly just like his age. I have only one laptop and can't afford a new one.
    I really need to edit information with 2.1 on laptop and practice it on my iPhone. :(

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 Nov, 2019 08:23 PM

I'm afraid if you're unable to update, you'll need to manually move your data from Jan 1: https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/am-manual.html#itunes-import/export

11. 11 Posted by John Lillyblad on 19 Nov, 2019 08:28 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: Old version opening

I have downloaded Anki 2.1.15 but when I install it and open it, it says version 2.0.51. I have tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling, no change. Is it possible the file download is incorrect? Please advise.

12. 12 Posted by n8abx9y2qg on 05 Dec, 2019 05:29 PM

I have error messages in 2.1 for a deck that never made any problem whatsoever in 2.0. The card even show wonderfully errorless in the editing window. There is nothing wrong with the HTML either, why is there suddenly a "HTML error" without any display?

The syncing is an important feature for commuters. But the switch to 2.1 also makes me lose the "advanced previewer" add-on that I heavily rely on. Is there a guide how to update add-ons to the 2.1 API? The add-on creator does not seem to do it. Can anyone help?

Not sure what drove the decision, but two months is a short time to inform everybody. I appreciate there is a heads up at all, but updating add-ons and figuring out weird errors in 2.1 that never appeared with same deck in 2.0 takes time. I would also have appreciated an option to not show the warning over and over as long as still using 2.0.

13. 13 Posted by mvf on 06 Dec, 2019 07:30 AM

The Unicode issue bit me too a while back and I've been running this ugly hack ever since with no ill effects.

I occasionally rep on Windows and Mac with unmodified Anki and can confirm that it only mangles the fields you edit.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• KANJI-WALL.jpg 995 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac