Cloning a Deck: is this the right way? (two methods)

ankylosis

07 Nov, 2019 01:48 AM

Hi Damian,

Hope you're having a great day.
A non-urgent question for when you have a moment to share some usage tips.
Strangely, I haven't Here's a usage question to which I've found unsatisfying answers on the web.

For demonstration purposes, I like to have clones of my most active decks, i.e., decks with exactly the same notes (but different scheduling, as I haven't managed to clone that as well). This lets me "advertise" Anki and explain the functionality without messing with my reviews.

Why Clones, as opposed to Filtered Decks? Because even when checking the option to place cards back in their original position, filtered decks affect the display order of cards that were in the Learning phase, placing them again at the back of the New queue.

Method #1
To create Clones, I tried exporting and importing, but without success. My impression was that Anki does not want duplicates of a certain note type. What has worked for me is to create a "Cloned deck" where I import text files of the original deck, but specify a different Note type during import.

This works for text cards, but for multimedia cards I imagine it might be more complex.
Furthermore, I haven't been able to clone the scheduling information.
Is there a better way to do an actual clone, or is this it?

Method #2: Filtered Deck that excludes "Learning" cards
One different idea, I'm thinking, might be a filtered deck that skips over the "learning notes" issue by excluding them with something like prop:due>31
Does this make sense, would it guarantee that I wouldn't mess up my scheduling when deleting the filtered deck (assuming I've unchecked the "Reschedule cards" option)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 07 Nov, 2019 09:45 PM

For testing/demonstrating Anki, you can export your collection to a colpkg file, then create a new profile and import the collection into that profile. It will be a full duplicate of your material, and any changes you make will not affect your original data.

2. 2 Posted by ankylosis on 07 Nov, 2019 11:23 PM

That's a great idea!
    Wow, no less than three options then. Wonderful.
    Thank you very much.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac