Random Images Missing

Paraic Ross

04 Nov, 2019 01:41 PM

Many random images are now missing.

On Mac, I've checked the collection.media folder and all images seem to be there.

When I press the "check media" button I get a message reading, "Anki does not support files in subfolders of the collection.media folder" and a very long list of the images that seem to be missing.

Has anyone any useful ideas? Please...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 05 Nov, 2019 01:02 AM

Media files must be place directly in the collection.media folder, not in subfolders. If you you moved the images into subfolders, you'll need to move them back for Anki to be able to find them.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Damien Elmes on 05 Nov, 2019 01:02 AM

3. 3 Posted by Paraic Ross on 05 Nov, 2019 06:44 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I understand from the other posts that there should be no subfolders to the collection.media folder. I haven’t moved any images. I simply copy and paste images and allow Anki manage itself. Indeed, as you know the library folder on Mac is hidden. I only discovered how to access it yesterday.

As far as I can tell all the images and sound files are all still there. There is one subfolder (not put there by me) in collection.media folder the called "file/“. That has a collection of empty folders. It runs as below:

collection.media / file/ / Users / paraic / Library / Colors

If these empty subfolders aren’t the problem, what other cause could there be?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 05 Nov, 2019 10:52 PM

You appear to have synced a bunch of media deletions on the 21st. If you're unable to locate the missing media files in your trashcan, please let me know and I can restore the m from an AnkiWeb backup.

Anki won't have created that folder itself - if it's empty, I'd suggest removing it.

5. 5 Posted by Paraic Ross on 06 Nov, 2019 04:51 AM

Yes! Please restore from Ankiweb backup. My trashcan is empty. I have no
    idea how I managed synch media deletions.

To be clear you advise me to delete the "file/" folder I found in the
    "cołlection.nedia" folder?

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Damien Elmes on 06 Nov, 2019 09:40 PM

I've restored the media files that were deleted recently - they should automatically download the next time you sync.

7. 7 Posted by Paraic Ross on 07 Nov, 2019 08:20 PM

Very many thanks! It's back working fine.

One question: I note there's a pay version of the app for Mac. I use an old
    MacBook Pro from 2012 but synch to an android phone.

Would it work for me?
    Is it a better app?
    Would it feed from same Anki files I have now?

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 07 Nov, 2019 10:05 PM

That sounds like an unrelated app:

AnkiApp is not part of the Anki ecosystem

9. 9 Posted by Paraic Ross on 08 Nov, 2019 07:52 AM

That's a pretty despicable ploy. The way the blurb was written lead me to believe it was part of same stable

Do you have a channel for feedback:

The "added today" button was very useful. I miss it!
    I find when I try drag words, images or sound files within "add card”, the app freezes. I have to close “add card” and start again

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Damien Elmes on 08 Nov, 2019 09:57 PM

Do you mean you want to view the cards added today in the browse screen? You can do that via the filter button.

Dragging issues are on the todo list to look into, thanks.

11. 11 Posted by Paraic Ross on 19 Nov, 2019 12:48 PM

Dear Damien,

Thanks. I found the cards added today button via the filter button.

More worryingly, random images are beginning to disappear again. It is much milder than the last time but I don’t want let it snowball. Am I making some stupid/fundamental error when synching?

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 Nov, 2019 08:06 PM

It doesn't look like any deletions have been synced recently. Could you give me an example card that is not showing the media on AnkiWeb?

13. 13 Posted by Paraic Ross on 20 Nov, 2019 02:42 PM

See two examples below. Oddly, I’ve found that the images are retained on the Mac but don’t show up on the phone. I’ve tried, of course, to synch to solve but the cards on the two cards on the phone remain the same, without image

Lucia e Marco si sono sposati __ la famiglia fosse contraria. / Lucia e Marco si sono sposati nonostante la famiglia fosse contraria.

__ qualsiasi __ / un qualsiasi numero

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Damien Elmes on 20 Nov, 2019 07:47 PM

That file is in AnkiWeb, so it looks like it hasn't been downloaded by AnkiMobile yet. Please log out in the sync preferences of AnkiMobile then sync again, which will force a full scan for any missing media.

15. 15 Posted by Paraic Ross on 21 Nov, 2019 04:09 PM

Thanks a million! That's fixed it.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac