Browser won't show all notes/cards

WGroleau

28 Oct, 2019 10:32 PM

I pulled a shared deck from the web and added it to my collection. Then exported to a text file.

I edited the file to have two additional columns (fields). I also added some more lines (notes).

In Anki 2, I renamed the note type (from default), renamed the two fields, added two more fields, and changed which field was the key (sort). I then added two card types. Then I deleted all the notes.

Imported the edited text file. Now 257 notes. Exited Anki to do a sync, which required a full upload to AnkiWeb.

I converted all the images from PNG to GIF, to cut the size by more than half. Made the same edit in the text file.

Launched Anki again and re-imported the text file. 257 notes updated; no message about empty cards.

Opened the browser, filtered to that deck. Shows only 55 cards.

Imported again: "257 notes unchanged". Browser still shows only 55 cards.

Check database doesn't fix it. Search for "US" which is a substring of several notes only finds one of them.

??

1. 1 Posted by WGroleau on 28 Oct, 2019 11:00 PM

Searching for "Turkey" which was not shown before does find all three card types for it.

Filtering only by deck shows only 55 cards, all of them the third card type created.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Damien Elmes on 28 Oct, 2019 11:04 PM

If you search based on the note type instead of the deck, it will show cards that are in a different deck as well.

3. 3 Posted by WGroleau on 29 Oct, 2019 12:27 AM

The point is that I can't get the browser to display all the cards in the deck. I can search for individual notes, but if I try to show the whole deck (over six hundred cards) I can only get 55 of only one of the three card types.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Damien Elmes on 29 Oct, 2019 12:54 AM

They're not showing up because they're not in the deck you're searching in. I suggest you search for the cards using the note type, then move any that are in the wrong place into the place you expect them to be.

5. 5 Posted by WGroleau on 29 Oct, 2019 03:53 PM

OK, so I verified this is correct. But a comment on the guide: Recommends "Edit→Select Notes" which wants me to put nid:______ in the browser search. Putting the name of the note type gets "Invalid search." I have no way of determining the note ID. But if I use the filter button, I can pick the name of the note type from a menu (and it is exactly what I tried to type in as the mid).

Now I have them where I want them. But it still raises questions. I selected all the notes in the deck and removed them. Filtering to that deck showed it was empty. Then I selected Import, selected the 257-line file, made sure the deck and note type was correct, and was told 257 notes added. How did one card type on 55 of 257 go into the correct deck while the other 202 notes and 110 cards go elsewhere? This was a new note type; not previously in any deck.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Damien Elmes on 29 Oct, 2019 10:16 PM

Sorry, which guide are you referring to? The simplest way to see all cards of a note type is to click on the note type in the left bar of the browser - which if it's not hidden, can be revealed by choosing the sidebar option in the filter button.

When you import or edit a note and that causes new cards to be generated, if Anki is not sure which deck they should be placed in, they are placed in the default deck.

7. 7 Posted by WGroleau on 30 Oct, 2019 06:25 PM

“Sorry, which guide are you referring to?”

https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#toolbar says to use File→Select Notes which (as you say) is not the easiest way. Probably the hardest way, because it requires the user to know the "nid" which is not the name of the note type.

“When you import or edit a note and that causes new cards to be generated, if Anki is not sure which deck they should be placed in, they are placed in the default deck.”

I select File→Import and select a text file. In the pop-up, I change both “Note” and “Deck” to “WorldFlags”. The next pop-up says 257 notes added. How can 55 cards of one type go into the Deck I selected, and 202 of that type plus all of the other two types go into the Default deck? (Which was apparently re-created, as I had previously deleted it.)

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Damien Elmes on 30 Oct, 2019 10:57 PM

Importing will not change the location of existing cards. The cards that are already in your collection stay where they are, and the new cards are placed in the location Anki thinks they belong. This can change based on the deck you've selected and any deck overrides for individual templates, and if Anki is not sure, the cards end up in the catch-all default deck.

9. 9 Posted by WGroleau on 06 Nov, 2019 11:57 PM

Well, it's now "water under the bridge" but I still don't understand why "the location Anki thinks they belong" should ever be other than the deck specified in the import dialogue.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac