Allow portable install mode on windows

tom

27 Oct, 2019 07:07 PM

I would like to see a portable version of the app - a portable Anki would have some nice advantages!

1. 1 Posted by lovac42 on 27 Oct, 2019 09:06 PM

It is portable, use 7z to extract installer.

d:\portable_apps\anki.exe -b d:\my_anki_profile

2. 2 Posted by tom on 27 Oct, 2019 09:14 PM

Honestly, I'm not so sure... I did that and opening the anki.exe from that new folder... but it magically finds my former settings and doesn't ask for example on first start which language I want to use the program in, but uses the one I set for the installed version instead.

Also, there should be some more information about the availability of a portable version.
    It would be very handy to have a .zip download on the webpage or even better a portable option in the installer!

3. 3 Posted by lovac42 on 27 Oct, 2019 09:28 PM

Did you forget to use the -b switch?

4. 4 Posted by tom on 27 Oct, 2019 09:32 PM

I did not use the command line at all. I simply used the 7zip app to extract the binary.

5. 5 Posted by lovac42 on 27 Oct, 2019 09:37 PM

That explains it. If you want it to run the profile on usb, you have to give it a path. And if you want to use a launcher, then just write a batch file.

6. 6 Posted by tom on 27 Oct, 2019 09:45 PM

Hmm, thanks for your input and explanation lovac42!
    But I think we are back to start here...

I request a simpler and more user friendly way to use a portable versiont. Anki could handle that right in the installer or have separate zip download for portable purposes. USB usage and other "portable" use cases are nothing extremely unusual.

There should be a better and easier way which can be dealt with by every ordinary user!

7. 7 Posted by lovac42 on 27 Oct, 2019 11:02 PM

That would be interesting, but unlikely to happen any time soon as the toolkit that Anki 2.1 uses is still new and unstable for some graphic cards. It would be more work to deal with and troubleshoot than the current -b setup which is working fine for most users already.

8. 8 Posted by tom on 28 Oct, 2019 01:19 AM

Even in the command line I can't make it work. Your command in the powershell does open the installer and the result after installation is the same as described above: my settings from the former installation are recognized.
    This seems to be not trivial at all, I don't want to think about an inexperienced user dealing with it... I'm pretty sure this does not work for "most users", probably "some tech-savy" at best.

9. 9 Posted by lovac42 on 28 Oct, 2019 01:50 AM

You can try my launcher, but will need to extract the binaries from the anki installer into the App directory. It's follows the same structure as PortableApps if you ever used it.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac