Changing the prompting question based on the category of the answer (i.e., what ocean for an ocean versus what continent for a continent)

Luke

22 Oct, 2019 03:41 AM

Hello,
I want one set up flash cards to prompt me with "What continent is X" where "X" is the image path and has an answer of the continent name, and another that says "What ocean is X" where "X" is the image path and the answer is the ocean name. In short, if the answer is an continent I want one prompt where if it is an ocean I want a different prompt.

How should I set this up?

1. 1 Posted by Luke on 22 Oct, 2019 01:56 PM

After sleeping on it, I think I just need to use a full prompting question as the field.

FieldQuestion: Full prompting question (e.g., What continent/ocean is this)
    FieldMap: Link to map

Alternatively, I could have a field for the type of object in the question.

FieldType: Type of object (e.g., ocean/continent, etc.), which will get plugged into a form question
    FieldMap: Link to map

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Damien Elmes on 22 Oct, 2019 11:08 PM

Please see the intro videos at the top of https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html

3. 3 Posted by Luke on 24 Oct, 2019 03:34 AM

The intro videos were helpful and it is a little annoying that it was posted as a suggestion.

I think my question arose because I did not (and still might not) know how anki is structured. It seems a deck can only have one type of note. The note must include all of the fields. Thus, if you note has the fields country, ocean, map image, you have to fill in data for each one of the fields. However, you would not want to do this because country and ocean are not related. As far as I can tell, you cannot create a note with fields country and map image and another note with fields ocean and map image in the same deck. You would do this in different decks. You could create a note with fields type, name, and map image. The type field could then take the input that describes the type of feature (i.e., country or ocean).

In short, it seems the answer to my question is to either create two decks (with different notes for ocean versus country) or one deck (with a note that includes a category for the type of geographic feature).

4. 4 Posted by Luke on 24 Oct, 2019 03:46 AM

Well, the above understanding is wrong. You can create new notes types within the deck, including notes that have different fields. Thus, I can create a note for oceans and map and a note for countries and map, both within the same deck.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac