Delay in sound recording

Galjeex

07 Oct, 2019 02:24 PM

I'm experiencing an odd behavior with sound recording. When I press record in the New Card interface, the recording timer appears to start quickly, but there's a 1-2 second delay in the captured audio. If, however, I have the Windows Voice Recorder application open, captured audio in Anki has no delay. I am not using Windows Voice Recorder, but the mere fact of it being open appears to resolve the recording delay I seem to be experiencing in Anki. If I close Windows Voice Recorder again, the issue persists in Anki.

I've only started noticing this in the past week or so, but I think I last updated Anki close to a month ago, and I did not have this issue with the previous version. I record 100-200 cards a week.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open Add window
2. Press F5 and start recording as soon as the dialog box appears
3. Click Save and listen to the recorded audio

Expected: Everything I said from the time the recording timer started to be captured.
Actual: There's a 1-2 second delay in the captured audio.

I attempted to record a video to demonstrate, but I had issues with the screen capture software. Let me know if that would be helpful, and I can capture a video for you.

SYSTEM INFO:
===========
OS version: Windows 10 Build 18362
Anki version: 2.1.15 (442df9d6)
Number of cards in deck (in case it's relevant): ~ 39k

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 07 Oct, 2019 11:14 PM

I'm guessing your audio hardware or drivers take a while to initialize. The Voice Recorder app is likely keeping them active, whereas the audio library Anki is using initializes them each time a sound needs to be recorded. Thanks for the report, I'll keep an eye out for other users experiencing the same issue.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac