Distorted voice recordings

Méchant Renard

07 Oct, 2019 11:02 AM

Hello world!

After updating Anki I got a problem with adding audio to new flashcards. When I play back newly added voice recordings, the sound is strangely distorted. How can I fix this problem? Before the update, I've never had any issues with Anki.

I'd appreciate any help!
By the way, a huge thank you for providing Anki. Anki has helped me so much in my language leanings.

Warm regard,
Méchant Renard

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 07 Oct, 2019 11:07 PM

Hi Méchant,

Does restarting your computer help? Do you have any other programs running that may be using your microphone? Does 2.1.15-alternate on the download site perform any differently?

2. 2 Posted by emil.gautesen on 19 May, 2020 05:53 PM

I have the same problem on Anki Windows desktop version 2.1.26 (and on 2.1.22).

Voice recordings sound deep and distorted when played back.

Changing microphones doesn't solve it. (I've tried recording with the in-built laptop speakers and two different bluetooth headsets.)

Starting Anki with all add-ons disabled doesn't solve it either.

This is definitely a problem with how Anki *records audio* and not how it *plays back* audio, because the distortion effect remains, even when I play the recording in VLC directly from the collection.media folder.

(Recording my voice with Audacity or Windows Voice Recorder works fine and sounds normal. Adding voice-recordings which were recorded outside of Anki to a note works fine.)

EDIT: Just tried recording with Anki version 2.0.48 which also sounds distorted, which never happened before.

Maybe the problem is a Windows update or something? I Recently updated to Version 1909.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 20 May, 2020 10:06 AM

Could be. Perhaps upgrading or downgrading your sound drivers may help?

4. 4 Posted by emil.gautesen on 20 May, 2020 03:11 PM

Updating my audio drivers solved the issue! Voice recordings in Anki sound completely normal now.

I downloaded the audio drivers for my computer model from asus directly.

(Strangely this guide from Microsoft on updating your audio drivers through device manager detected no problems and had no effect.)

Thanks for the quick reply, Damien! And thanks for Anki!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 21 May, 2020 12:16 AM

No problem - glad to hear that fixed it!

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac