MacBook Graphics issues

Jonathan Race

03 Oct, 2019 07:59 AM

I've been having graphics issues since I upgraded to version 2.

I'm loving the upgrade tbh, it feels much more responsive but these bugs are getting in the way of studying as they block most of what is being shown in the answer section.

I would say I have this problem occur with around 5-10% of my cards and it happens when I click on show answer. Seems to be ok on the question side as far as I know.

Here are some screenshots. I'm curious to hear if anyone has has similar issues or has any advice.

FWIW - This is a Mid 2014, Retina, 15-inch MacBook Pro running NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB Intel Iris Pro GFX

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 04 Oct, 2019 12:25 AM

Hi Jonathan,

Some things you could try:

• The alternate version on Anki's download site
    • The latest beta version in the beta testing section, started from the terminal, with the following command:

ANKI_SOFTWAREOPENGL=1 open /Applications/Anki.app

2. 2 Posted by Jonathan Race on 04 Oct, 2019 08:24 PM

Hi thanks for getting back to me Damien.

I’m happy to try out the beta and see if it works. I’m worried that with a beta version there could be some risk of my deck getting messed up. Is this a possibility? I’ve been using anki everyday for two years and it’s a lot of progress! :)

Jonathan

2019/10/04 1:25、Damien Elmes <[email blocked]>のメール:

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 05 Oct, 2019 04:49 AM

I'd suggest trying the alternate version first as that will likely perform better if it solves the issue for you, but the beta should be safe to run.

4. 4 Posted by Jonathan Race on 07 Oct, 2019 07:28 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply Damien.

I’ve been trying out the alternate version for the last few days and it seems a lot of the glitches have gone.

I encountered my first one today actually (out of hundreds) so the frequency has gone down although I suspect it’s still there somewhere.

This happened in a different deck and although the glitching is a lot more basic looking it still appeared in the same area as the other ones (top quarter). In case it isn’t obvious, the background for this card should all be the same beige colour.

- Jon

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 07 Oct, 2019 11:01 PM

Hi Jon,

Glad to hear the alternate version is working better for you. I'm afraid this is either a bug in your graphics drivers or the toolkit Anki uses, so it's not something I can easily work around unfortunately.

6. 6 Posted by Jonathan Race on 08 Oct, 2019 06:02 AM

Sorry to hear it :/

It’s something that only started to appear in version 2 however.

Is it possible that a change in version 2 managed to create this? Has anyone else had any similar issues?

Jon

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Damien Elmes on 09 Oct, 2019 01:08 AM

I don't recall any other Mac users reporting this particular issue, so if it is happening it does appear to be rare. Anki 2.1 uses a newer toolkit version, as the older toolkit is no longer supported.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• スクリーンショット_2019-10-03_7.49.26.png 847 KB
  • スクリーンショット_2019-10-03_7.48.32.png 1.08 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac