LaTex

Jack Pipa

25 Jun, 2019 02:03 PM

How in the world do you get Latex to work on Anki??????? I am using Anki on a MacBook. I understand how to look up code to get LaTex to generate what you want to show.... but I can't even get it installed to even get started.

I get this crazy error message:
Error executing latex.
Generated file: /var/folders/67/1g8lx74x1g13h4m5fkkbl_s80000gn/T/anki_temp/tmp.tex
Have you installed latex and dvipng/dvisvgm?

Everything I look up online is ridiculously complicated and I have no idea what anyone is talking about. I just want the stupid thing to work so I can get started with studying and stop wasting time with this.

1. 1 Posted by Jack Pipa on 25 Jun, 2019 06:40 PM

Nevermind... after wasting precious hours trying to figure this out, installing dvipng, dvisvgm, basicTex (which all take up memory on my computer and do not have an easy way to uninstall) I'm realizing that the simplest solution is to just use MathJax, which is already built into Anki. Really wish I would have known this sooner.

Was initially drawn to using LaTex because I had used it in another setting. MathJax is just as easy to use.

Absolutely ridiculous that it couldn't have taken me less time to figure this out. Why even have a Latex option if you have to be a computer scientist to figure it out???

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Damien Elmes on 26 Jun, 2019 03:21 AM

From the manual: "LaTeX is more work to set up, and images can only be generated with the computer version of Anki - though once generated, the images can be displayed by mobile clients. LaTeX does offer better support for advanced formatting however - if your needs are complicated, MathJax may not meet them."

3. 3 Posted by Eugene on 25 May, 2020 03:18 AM

@Jack, if it makes you feel any better, you just saved me potentially hours trying to get to the solution you found. Thank you!

4. 4 Posted by Jack Pipa on 25 May, 2020 03:25 PM

LOL. Yes, that does make me feel better! Ha ha. Happy studying!

Jack

5. 5 Posted by Jack Pipa on 25 May, 2020 03:27 PM

Btw I have found this link to be a really good resource for using MathJax: https://math.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/5020/mathjax-basic-tutorial-and-quick-reference

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac