How do I get started on Mac? (completely lost)

ds_tx

10 Mar, 2019 02:47 AM

I think this app will do what I want, but it is so un-intuitive I can't really tell.
Adding cards is easy, but how do you delete a card without deleting the whole deck?
After clicking on "study now", how do you advance to the next card? There is no forward and back button. After clicking "show answer" there is nothing but "again", "good", and "easy" at bottom of card. "Again reverses order and shows back of card first. If I click "easy", then cards are no longer availble to study. This is VERY confusing to say the least.
If app were intuitive, then there would be menu/command functions for such things as - delete card, show all cards, reorder cards, etc.
I cannot create a custom card "type" because there is no "+" button as manual claims there is, only preset types.
It would be a big help if there were tutorials and samples showing how to create card types, fields etc for specific applications, such as . . .
I'm trying to create a Greek alphabet deck based on the following webpage - http://www.ilearngreek.com/Lessons/alphabet.L1.asp
I want upper/lowercase Greek letter to be biggest, then underneath that, the name of letter in smaller type, then "as in" even smaller, then sample word same size as name of letter, then a button I can press that will play sound file same as on webpage - pronunciation of name of letter and sample word(s). On reverse side, I want transliteration - of letter names and sample word(s).

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 11 Mar, 2019 02:00 AM

Have you watched the intro videos at the top of the manual yet? They show how card templates can be modified: https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html

Anki requires a bit of an initial investment to learn how to use it effectively. If you're in a hurry and after something simpler, you may find a different program better suits your needs.

2. 2 Posted by ds_tx on 11 Mar, 2019 06:42 PM

I've watched intro videos, but they don't help when I get stuck.
    Part of problem seems to be that Anki app malfunctions.
    For instance, I use the Preview function in the Browser in order to study all cards in sequence. I've created deck for Greek alphabet (upperl/lower letter, letter name, sample word, audio) and want to learn the alphabet in order. I used Preview fine yesterday, but today, Anki opened blank Preview card, then opened card but wouldn't advance. I quit program several times until it finally cleared up and I was able to Preview.
    I created Greek parent deck, then Alphabet Say subdeck and was able to create the fields I wanted and enter data. But when I create another subdeck, Alphabet Write, that I want the sound with text fields to type in the words, I don't know how to change the card fields. When I click on Alphabet Write subdeck, click on Add, then click on Fields, Fields for Basic (card type) window opens showing same 4 fields I created for the Alphabet Say subdeck. When I try to delete them, message window opens asking if I want to Delete field from 24 notes. If I select yes, will that delete the field from all my 24 previously created Alphabet Say subdeck cards?
    When I click on Cards... from Greek::2.Alphabet Write deck, only Card 1 Type is shown that I used on other Alphabet Say subdeck. When I select Options - Add Card Type, message window opens asking "This will create 25 cards. Proceed?". Why 25 cards? What is the app doing? I don't understand.
    How do I create another subdeck in my Greek parent deck with sound and text fields instead of the 4 fields I created in my Alphabet Say subdeck (1: Alphabet Letter, 2: Letter Name, 3: Word Example, 4: Audio)?
    See attached screenshots -

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 12 Mar, 2019 08:37 AM

The screen in your bottom screenshot is used for editing the currently selected note type. To add a new note type instead, from the Add window, click on the Type button at the top left, then Manage, and then Add. Once you've added a new note type, you can customize it to change the way cards that use it will be displayed, without changing other cards that use the previous note type.

If you find you can reproduce the previewing issue, please let me know what steps trigger the problem.

4. 4 Posted by ds_tx on 12 Mar, 2019 01:50 PM

There appears to be some sort of loop occurring.
    When I follow your instructions, the "Note Types" list shows "Basic [24 notes]", and "Basic [0 notes]", so I pick the 2nd because I presume the 1st is the previous deck I created with 24 Greek alphabet letters that I don't want to modify.
    When I select "Basic [0 notes]" and click "Add", "Add Note Type" window opens with "Add: Basic" selected.
    When I click OK, a "Name" window is brought up in the "Note Types" window with a string of letters/numbers following Basic.
    When I click OK, that "Note Type" is created and highlighted in "Note Types" window.
    When I click "Add", the "Add Note Type" window reopens again with "Add: Basic" highlighted.

5. 5 Posted by ds_tx on 12 Mar, 2019 02:41 PM

I tried again and this time selected "Basic (type in answer)", which is what I want.
    I'm able to name and create fields, but when I try to add card, I get error message:
    "The input you have provided would make an empty question on all card."
    What's wrong with my card setup?

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Damien Elmes on 13 Mar, 2019 02:55 AM

That template does not make sense, as it's effectively presenting you with a blank page and asking you to input two things - what two things is unclear. The typing functionality is designed to only test a single item at once. What you probably want to do is include one or more normal {{Field}}s on the front which provide the text or audio necessary to tell you what you're supposed to type in, and then one {{type:Field}} item on the front (to type in) and the back (to see the comparison)

If your goal is to have an audio prompt without the text, you'll need to put the audio into a separate field instead of mixing it with the text, eg:

Front:
    {{AudioPromptOrTextPrompt}} {{type:FieldWithTextToType}}

Back:

{{type:FieldWithTextToType}}

7. 7 Posted by ds_tx on 13 Mar, 2019 03:04 PM

OK, got it. Thanks.

Is there any way to have the Greek alphabet or list of letter names (as shown in the attached screenshot) on a card with type to text box for each item one at a time?

I'm trying to figure out how to design cards for learning the order of the alphabet letter characters with their names.

8. 8 Posted by Yves Codet on 13 Mar, 2019 07:00 PM

Hello.

Personally I would separate the two tasks (it's what I did to learn Russian letters and their order).

I would first create a series of cards to learn the names of the letters:

Front: α
    Back: άλφα

Front: β
    Back: βήτα

and so on.

After learning the names of the letters, I would create a series of cards with cloze deletions to learn their order:

α {{c1::β}}

α β {{c1::γ}}

α β γ {{c1::δ}}

or a single note with multiple cloze deletions (which would create as many cards as there are cloze deletions):

α {{c1::β}} {{c2::γ}} {{c3::δ}}...

In the last case you would see the whole alphabet on each card, with one letter hidden.

I hope this can be useful.

Best,

Yves

9. 9 Posted by ds_tx on 13 Mar, 2019 07:46 PM

I was able to create cloze deletion deck, but there's no indication if answer is right or wrong. Only correct answer displays regardless if input was right or not.

Also, after experimenting with changes to my alphabet Hear & Write deck, the type: function is no longer blank. The text entry displays in the text box, and I can't get it to function correctly even though I put everything back the way I had it.

10. 10 Posted by ds_tx on 13 Mar, 2019 08:03 PM

Regarding type in text function, I think a colon was missing so I added another one to read - type::LetterNameWord
    instead of single colon - type:LetterNameWord
    Now there's no text displaying in text box in card editor, but now cards dsiplay text in text box "Type:answer: unknown field :LetterNameWord" even though field editor shows the LetterNameWord field.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Damien Elmes on 15 Mar, 2019 12:16 AM

If you wish to type in the clozed text, you should use {{type:cloze:Text}} on both the front and back template., and {{cloze:Text}} on the front - replacing Text with your clozed field name.

12. 12 Posted by ds_tx on 15 Mar, 2019 05:25 PM

Thanks for helping me get my decks working correctly.

One last item about styling -
    Why is the font for type:cloze:Text answer differ from text entry font, which is Arial like the rest of the card?

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Damien Elmes on 16 Mar, 2019 12:41 AM

The typing font is controlled by the font you've selected in the Fields window, accessed from the editing screen.

14. 14 Posted by ds_tx on 16 Mar, 2019 01:53 AM

Text field for type:cloze:Text occurs on both the front and back of the card and Arial is selected as font for Text field, yet the answer (back) of card does not display in Arial font.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Damien Elmes on 17 Mar, 2019 06:15 AM

Please sync your latest changes to AnkiWeb, and i'll take a look at your current card template.

16. 16 Posted by ds_tx on 17 Mar, 2019 02:46 PM

OK, sync is complete.

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Damien Elmes on 18 Mar, 2019 05:37 AM

You can force a font in the comparison area as mentioned on https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#checking-your-answer

Please also note that if the language you're trying to show is not supported by the font you've selected, the system will try to use another font that supports the language.

18. 18 Posted by ds_tx on 18 Mar, 2019 06:44 PM

That worked. Thanks.

One last thing (I promise). Is there a way to style the type to text on the front of the card so it types from the center instead of left margin?

Styling .card { text-align: center; } centers the type answer on back of card just fine, but not the type entry on front of card.

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by Damien Elmes on 18 Mar, 2019 10:45 PM

You may be able to accomplish it by styling the 'input' element in the styling section. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12114570/how-to-align-texts-ins...

20. 20 Posted by ds_tx on 27 Mar, 2021 08:32 PM

Anki Mac will not display cards in order created.

Bug exists in Anki 2.1.41 on High Sierra and Catalina, and also exists in Anki 2.1.0 and 2.1.52 on Catalina (and probably High Sierra too).

I deleted all decks and added them back so all cards were “New”.
    About halfway (or a little more) through deck of 24 notes, Anki started repeating previous notes even though it had not displayed all notes evem once.

Deck Options/Order was set to Show new cards in order added.

When I Set Due Date on all cards to 0 (today's date), notes still display randomly instead of in order.

When I toggle Options/Order to random, then back to in order, notes still display randomly.

If Anki does not display new cards correctly, then how can I trust that Anki is applying complex algorithims correctly in order to display notes at appropriate intervals?

Is this bug going to be fixed?

Is there some other way I can try to reset Anki so all cards display in order as new?

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac