some new functions of 2.1 not documented in the manual (card flags, filter button in browser)

ijg

19 Dec, 2018 02:42 PM

In 2.1 you can flag cards. The word "flag" is not in the manual as of today (not in the section about the browser and not in the section about adding cards).

in the browser in 2.1 there is a button "Filter" left to the search bar that is not mentioned in the manual.

I remember at least two threads on the anki subreddit that asked about saving searches and searching for flagged cards.

I think it would be useful to have these documented in the manual.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 19 Dec, 2018 11:34 PM

Thanks for the heads up; updating the manual is on the todo list :-)

2. 2 Posted by ijg on 23 Jan, 2019 12:23 AM

on reddit someone asked for shortcuts for mathjax. Indeed they are not in the manual and I didn't find a thread about this here. I guess you already have this on your list but better save than sorry ... Another point that probably has been mentioned and processed by you: In 2.0 in the editor in the dropdown-menu for Latex/EditHtml you had the relevant shortcuts visible next to the commands. In 2.1 just the commands are shown.

Thanks for your time.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 23 Jan, 2019 08:53 AM

The toolkit is to blame for those shortcuts disappearing, and they should still be visible in the -alternate build. Thanks for letting me know; I'll make a note to extend the current workaround to the editor menu as well.

4. 4 Posted by Thorsten on 14 May, 2020 10:24 PM

What do you think are practical use cases for flags compated to marked or tagged? Some notes in the manual wouldn't be bad.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 15 May, 2020 12:51 AM

I've updated the docs:

Flag Card
    Adds a colored marker to the card, or toggles it off. Flags will appear during
    study, and you can search for flagged cards in the Browse screen. This is useful
    when you want to take some action on the card at a later date, such as looking
    up a word when you get home.

Mark Note
    Adds a “marked” tag to the current note, so it can be easily found in the
    browser. This is similar to flagging individual cards, but works with a tag
    instead, so if the note has multiple cards, all cards will appear in a search
    for the marked tag. Most users will want to use flags instead - marking is
    mainly left around for compatibility with older Anki versions.

6. 6 Posted by Thorsten on 15 May, 2020 11:46 AM

Thanks for clarifying!

BTW Some years ago I asked you if it's possible to give you a donation for Anki, but you had doubts because of tax issues at that time. Did you change your opinion in the meantime? Several other developers from programs I use offer this easy possibility to receive informal acknowledgements from users (instead of selling official / separate licenses) . I think many users of Anki (and I) would appreciate this very much.
    (Sorry, I have no iPhone, so I cannot buy a license for iOS! ;-)

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Damien Elmes on 18 May, 2020 05:25 AM

I'm afraid I still don't accept donations - perhaps you have an iOS-using friend you could gift the app to? :-) Appreciate the thought in any case.

Comments are closed, but you can start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac