Upgrade

jason_johno

09 Mar, 2013 02:13 AM

I've been using Anki on my Mac and really liked it so I bought the app. I don't want to sync because my wife and I both want to use the decks and we want to be able to progress at different rates. I'm trying to Import my decks through I-tunes and I've followed the instructions but I cannot get the decks to export in .apkg, they only export in .anki format. When I try to import to my phone from I tunes it just says that there are no files to import.

I found out that there is a new version of Anki and I thought that there might be some compatibility issues with the new app, purchased yesterday, and the older version on my Mac purchased approx 6 months ago (I've tried to work out which version I have on my computer but I can't). When I try to install Anki 2 my Mac just says that it does not recognise the Image. I'm stuck and need advice.

Cheers

1. 1 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 09 Mar, 2013 04:31 AM

I don't want to sync because my wife and I both want to use the decks and we want to be able to progress at different rates.

I don't understand what syncing has to do with this; could you elaborate? There are several different ways to set up using Anki for several people.

but I cannot get the decks to export in .apkg, they only export in .anki format.

That means you're using Anki 1, as it seems you've suspected.

When I try to install Anki 2 my Mac just says that it does not recognise the Image.

Are you using a PowerPC Mac? Unfortunately support for them had to be dropped recently.

2. 2 Posted by jason_johno on 09 Mar, 2013 06:09 AM

"Are you using a PowerPC Mac? Unfortunately support for them had to be dropped recently."

If this refers to the processor, I have an 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7. So I don't think it's a Power PC Mac.

"I don't understand what syncing has to do with this; could you elaborate? There are several different ways to set up using Anki for several people."

I thought that syncing meant that your decks would update across multiple devices. I am new to this so if there is a way to sync without the progress being transfered i would definitly explore that. I'll read the instructions again.

However, I would still like to solve the problem of updating to Anki2 it doesn't seem like it want to work for me.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 09 Mar, 2013 06:16 AM

I suspect the download just got corrupted. Please try again with a
    different browser (eg Chrome or Firefox instead of Safari or vice
    versa).

4. 4 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 09 Mar, 2013 04:55 PM

I thought that syncing meant that your decks would update across multiple devices. I am new to this so if there is a way to sync without the progress being transfered i would definitly explore that. I'll read the instructions again.

I think we're still not understanding each other completely. Can I try starting from the beginning? You have some cards that both you and your wife want to study. Are you saying that one of you wants to study on the desktop and one of you on the mobile? If so, you would probably be best off creating two different profiles, syncing one of them with AnkiWeb and leaving the other unsynced (or with an AnkiWeb account if you so desire), and then exporting/importing apkg files when you need to share cards.

5. 5 Posted by jason_johno on 09 Mar, 2013 10:37 PM

Last night I downloaded firefox and then Anki 2 from firefox. The installation went fine and then it synced no worries. I now have all my decks on my mobile.

Thanks for the quick advice guys, you were both really helpful.

Cheers
    Jason

6. Soren Bjornstad closed this discussion on 10 Mar, 2013 03:45 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac