Anki doesn't play some sounds/videos

fretka

08 Mar, 2013 09:34 PM

I have the latest Anki (Desktop, Windows) and I have the same problem that was mentioned here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ankisrs/V38BzrrUhnI

So - some videos I add to my deck just don't play. I triple check paths, syntax etc.
It usually helps to edit the field, add some spaces, maybe duplicate the [sound] tag twice
or more and after such tweaks it starts to work.
Then I can remove those spaces and duplicate sounds and everything works fine magically.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Damien Elmes on 09 Mar, 2013 07:11 AM

As the poster on that thread indicated the problem just went away, have you tried restarting your computer?

2. 2 Posted by fretka on 09 Mar, 2013 10:10 AM

Of course. It's been happening all the time, not just once.
    One thing I once noticed - when I want to learn such a new card and it should be playing I can hear the fan of my computer running louder (higher cpu usage) - as if mplayer was running. But as I said - nothing shows up on the screen.
    Usually after several edits, tweaking etc. it starts to work.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 11 Mar, 2013 09:08 PM

One person in a similar thread reported that the problem went away when they uninstalled Anki and then installed 2.0.8 again. Could you please give that a go? Another thing to try is disabling all antivirus/antispyware/etc software to see if it's that which is interfering.

4. 4 Posted by fretka on 12 Mar, 2013 10:47 AM

Hi I tried disabling the antivirus but it didn't help.
    I use Anki as a portable app, so I can't reinstall it, but I can try it on a different computer.
    But I'm not hoping it'll do any difference as the Anki 1 worked fine, so I believe it somehow Anki or mplayer related - not computer related.

Is there any way to debug the mplayer, to see what it's doing and what commands it's receiving from Anki?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Damien Elmes on 12 Mar, 2013 10:00 PM

Please install Anki normally and see if it works like that.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac