Input problems when adding cards

Emma

08 Mar, 2013 03:13 PM

I've been having problems with non-English text input when adding new cards -- specifically simplified Chinese and Japanese.

I have Japanese Support and Chinese Support plugins installed, both of which insert something into one or more card fields (readings or definitions) after I type something in the first field. However, I don't think these are causing the issue since it's often the "typing something in the first field" part that gives me trouble.

Basically, text input works fine at first. I can type in the phonetic stuff, the text-picker drop down box appears, and I can choose the right word from there without a problem. However, after I have picked the right word, the cursor tends to disappear, and stays invisible even when I move to another field. Doesn't happen every time, but it happens a lot. Generally the quickest way to make this happen is to try and edit the Chinese/Japanese text after it's already been entered.

It's also a bit disorienting at times that strings are not shown as being underlined before they are finalized -- basically, you try to edit a text thinking it's been finalized already, only it's not finalized so your keystrokes have different results than you expect.

1. 1 Posted by Emma on 08 Mar, 2013 04:36 PM

Actually this is happening when editing cards too (from the browse screen). I hadn't edited much in Anki 2 until today, but as soon as I typed in some Japanese onto an existing card the cursor disappeared. Sigh.

2. 2 Posted by ccl09c on 08 Mar, 2013 07:17 PM

I've experienced this a lot in the past. Haven't noticed the issue lately but I haven't been using my IME nearly as much (and not studying languages as much lately :{...), I mostly used Google Japanese IME back then, I've mostly moved to Windows 8 using a stock IME, and have had a strong preference lately of typing out my cards en masse and adding/importing them into Anki after. So it's hard to pinpoint what exactly has been the reason for the lack of issues on my end recently.

Part of me thinks I've seen this in Chrome before. If that's correct it might just be how WebKit + some IMEs behave with each other?

Can't test on this PC but if I remember later I'll try to reproduce it.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Damien Elmes on 09 Mar, 2013 07:10 AM

I'm afraid this behaviour is caused by bugs in the toolkit Anki uses. They unfortunately have not fixed it in the latest release, but hopefully they will address it in the future.

4. Damien Elmes closed this discussion on 09 Mar, 2013 07:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac