Relearn by Note as Apposed to by Card

Nicholas Mischler

07 Mar, 2013 10:33 AM

For my studies, I use multiple cards to test myself on various dimensions of vocabulary- such as word to definition, definition to word, word to reading- and have about 3-4 cards per word. From time to time, when a card for a note I haven't seen in awhile comes up and I can't answer, I mark it to appear "Again" as would be expected. Then, another card from the same note appears and, with the fresh knowledge of the note in my mind now, I answer it correctly and mark it as "Good". Thus, for the same note, I have a card due in 1 day and in 30~300 days.

Is there any way for marking a card as "Again" and setting it to relearn do the same to every card from the same note? I could set them manually of course, but I would like it to be automatic if possible.

This way, I'm forced to relearn the note completely from every dimension I'm testing for. Likewise, it prevents subsequent cards from being pushed forward just because a card I had failed previously brought the note up in my short term memory.

1. 1 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 07 Mar, 2013 12:26 PM

No, not at the moment. I think you may be overly worried about this—Damien is looking at improving sibling spacing in the next version, but just because you have forgotten one card of a note does not mean you have necessarily forgotten the others (even the card that asks the exact reverse question). So I think this "auto-fail" would be unnecessary and a waste of time in most cases—instead, it would be better to simply minimize the chance that you see the card immediately afterwards, letting you give a better appraisal of how well you know it.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Damien Elmes on 07 Mar, 2013 06:05 PM

Yeah, I think this is best tackled with improved spacing of sibling cards in the future, as it's not always the case that forgetting one direction means you also forgot the other directions.

3. Damien Elmes closed this discussion on 07 Mar, 2013 06:05 PM.

4. Nicholas Mischler re-opened this discussion on 08 Mar, 2013 09:10 AM

5. 3 Posted by Nicholas Mischl... on 08 Mar, 2013 09:10 AM

In hindsight, I see that my suggest is a bit "extreme" and would perhaps make the situation worse as each card of a note would then appear on the same days. I guess what I'd like to suggest is to try and avoid- if possible- having siblings appear too soon after having reviewed one card that my short term memory of that first card is answering the sibling cards rather than drawing upon my longer term memory. Greater spacing sounds like what I'm seeking.

Though, would it be possible to have Anki prevent two sibling cards appearing on the same day once the sibling cards start going beyond a certain duration?

For instance, let's say that for a single note, I have 4 cards. For each review up till now, I've marked "Good" for each card and every card has appeared on the same day every time. For this review session, I once again mark each card as "Good" and Anki says each card will appear again after 40 days. However, instead of marking each card to appear in 40 days, would the following be possible: "if a card will appear again in 30 days or later, and will appear on the same day as any sibling card, it will appear in the calculated number of days plus one"? For the above example, the 4 cards would each be assigned to reappear in 40, 41, 42, and 43 days.

While I do not completely understand the deeper science behind spaced repetition, I assume that once cards start appearing after a month or so, having them appear a day earlier or later will make very little difference in whether the user can answer correctly. Likewise, if at these intervals sibling cards never appear on the same day, there's no risk- short of lazy studying- of having one card "answer" a sibling card which appears later.

6. 4 Posted by Soren Bjornstad on 08 Mar, 2013 12:20 PM

You are correct, and this is the kind of thing that is planned.

7. Damien Elmes closed this discussion on 09 Mar, 2013 09:11 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac