Amboss add on error

Vincent

17 Apr, 2020 01:18 PM

Hi there,

I've downloaded the latest version of Anki, and want to use an Amboss add on deck. I've downloaded the add on, but when I go to import it into my deck, it get the error message 'Selected file was not in UTF-8 format'. I've reached out to the Amboss customer service, and they are telling me it's a format issue with Anki? I downloaded version 2.1.22. I am doing this on a Surface Pro 7, using chrome for the browser. Any idea where to go from here regarding the UTF-8 format message?

1. 1 Posted by Glutanimate on 17 Apr, 2020 02:45 PM

Hi Vincent,

From the sounds of it you might be trying to import the add-on as a deck.

To install the add-on you can either double-click on the downloaded .ankiaddon file, or drag and drop it onto the add-ons list under Tools → Add-ons.

AMBOSS' installation tutorial showcases that second option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmamPWtjUn4

2. 2 Posted by Silvestri, Vinc... on 17 Apr, 2020 03:33 PM

Thanks for your reply!
    I took a look at the video, and I've followed the steps. When I go drag and drop the add-on file, I get the message that the add-on has been installed. As per directions, I log out and start the program again, and when I click on the add-on I get the UTF-8 message...

3. 3 Posted by Glutanimate on 17 Apr, 2020 03:39 PM

Hmm, I think it would be best if you could send AMBOSS customer support a screenshot of the UTF-8 error you're seeing (if you haven't done so already).

But in general: Once you've restarted Anki, there should be no need for you to click on anything. Normally you should be presented with a login dialog where you can login to AMBOSS, and once you've done that, the add-on should start working immediately on your cards.

4. 4 Posted by Silvestri, Vinc... on 17 Apr, 2020 03:41 PM

Thank you for your help, I will send this over to Amboss customer service. Thanks!

5. 5 Posted by Gowtham on 04 Jul, 2020 02:38 PM

same issue for me too , help me out please

6. 6 Posted by Glutanimate on 04 Jul, 2020 02:41 PM

Hi Gowtham,

These instructions on the troubleshooting page might be helpful: https://support.amboss.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037507631-Installat... (please see under "I see a UTF-8 error message during installation")

7. 7 Posted by Glutanimate on 04 Jul, 2020 02:42 PM

The installation video is also a great resource that could help in this case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvmFC9Ru5b8

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac